Monday 2 June 2008

I've drank aloe vera!!

Over the past month or so since i recovered from the dastardly duo of malaria and typhoid i've been feeling a little bit rough. Without wanting to go into too much detail and in the interest of human decency, all i shall say is i've not been feeling 100%, and my toilet is my sworn enemy.

Dr Njemba, or the candy doctor as she's commonly known, has prescribed all kinds of drugs to eradicate my ailments. I've also modified my diet so to not include bread and beer (which is about 50% of my diet) but still i feel rough. So enough was enough and when Ines suggested that i drink aloe vera, i agreed out of sheer desperation. She took some of the leaves from the magic plant outside my house and washed them, cut them up and then let them steep in fresh water. She brought the limey-green concoction to me and i drank the bitter potion last night. It was hard not to gag as the bitter taste washed over the back of my throat, i necked it in one and waited for the magic plant to heal me. People swear by it hear as it is regarded as a cure for typhoid and it cleanses your blood of any toxins. But they believe in a lot of other magic cures from plants too. For instance there are many 'doctors' who believe they have the cure for HIV, i ask why they don't release the information to the wider world, a simple answer, they don't want to be killed for their knowledge. Fair enough.

With all that in mind i lay down and read. About two hours after taking it i started to burn up, like literally, i was so hot i stuck my head in a bucket of water!!! Then i began to feel nauseous. I phoned Ines and she told me it was normal. I felt better this morning but i didn't relish having to take more today. So hear is hoping that i get better cause i've tried everything else, what harm can drinking a plant do?

In other news......

The school term has ended and the children graduate on wednesday. Tests have been taken and the stage is set for their graduation onto the next year or in the case of the class 5's, secondary school. All the volunteers have been busy cutting out flowers and making massive, elaborate signs in order to decorate the hall where the ceremony will be held. And of course there shall be other entertainment from the music class and i. Should all be fun.

There are lots of new American volunteers who are here with the Peacework organisation, there are five in all and they're all going to Mamfe to help with the out-reach programmes that UAC conducts there. As there will be no school we will be joining them on their trip to Mamfe on thursday for a visit.

Splendid.

1 comment:

Iris said...

The aloe vera gel/juice is amazing. I have been drinking it for years. I have found it gives me an energy boost and it is also good for the digestive system as well as your immune system, I have not had a cold since I started using it! To learn more aboaut the benefits and how the aloe vera works I suggest you read Dr. Peter Atherton's books. I also invite you to visit my website www.aloe4you.ca to read some of the testimonials from people using aloe vera products.