Friday 9 May 2008

Kribi in the rain

So after another delicious breakfast of real toast and butter and coffee and milk, we said our thankyou's to Auntie Planey and the family for their generous hospitality, and once it again it was off into the scorching sun for another day off travelling. We were heading back to Buea via Kribi, which is a popular coastal destination in the south province. The sun was shining and i was really up for it, but i knew that anything can happen on a bus journey in Cameroon.

Like a woman vomits on the bus, you see your first dead body by the roadside (both of which happened on the way to Yaounde) or you're driving along and the door falls off, and like now a tomato falls on your head when they're putting the luggage on top of the bus. Anything can happen.

We waited some time for the bus to fill up and eventually we were off. About an hour in the grey monochromatic face of a thundercloud started pouring rain on us. Nice day for the beach. I was reading at one point when i felt my arm getting wet, i found to my pleasure the window was leaking, after corking the flow of precipitation i sat back and waited for something else to happen but the next eventful thing i seen was a sign saying 'Bienvenue a Kribi'.

As i got off the bus i struck my bonce quite sharply on the door and consequently barked at the poor sap trying to give me a taxi. It was raining heavily, i was hungry and my bonce and bum hurt equally. We headed to a nice restaurant that Aloys knew. It had a pool table and it couldn't have been more beach-front without being under water. We ordered the fish and i challenged Aloys to a game of pool. I almost got a splinter when getting the balls out of the table and the cues didn't have any tips (i'm not giving excuses for my defeat) We played our game which could be called anything but a classic, and i got one free lesson in pool. Our fish arrived and it was lovely eating it while taking in the amazing view of the Atlantic.

We were alreday behind schedule so it was off to Buea via Douala, i could feel my bed getting nearer. Another packed bus to Douala where my bum only enjoyed half a seat, it got so bad that i had to stand up most of the way. We rolled into Douala at night and we were delayed further because no one was there to take our bags from the top of the bus. So good old Ernest just hopped up and passed them down to me. I love Cameroon. We got a taxi and it was destined to be the last vehicle between me and bed.

Good night.

No comments: