Tuesday 27 May 2008

10 things to bring to Cameroon

Here is a short list of things that are essential for a stay in Cameroon. I've looked at a few guide books on the country and none of these things are on there.

1. Earplugs - You will not believe how loud people listen to music here, it's obtrusively loud, and the sound carries for miles at night.

2. Candles - When it rains they sometimes shut off the power. You may be able to get candles here like i have, but it wouldn't be pleasant to spend your first night in darkness.

3. Hand and face wipes - Handy for when you're out and there is no water source to wash your hands.

4. Swiss army Knife - I've spent a lot of my time fixing things here, srewing this and tightening that. A swiss army knife would have been ideal.

5. Small toys - As i've seen volunteers leave it's clear that you don't just get away with a 'Gooodbye, remember me', a small toy or gift is a quite sought after item for the wee kids around here.

6. Books - Bring so many books. At night there are three choices - drink, exercise or read. I indulge in all three but reading has become a real passion of mine at the moment. Also a book with pictures on your country of origin, people find it fascinating.

7. Torch - I brought a wind-up one that i basically owe my life to as i can read at night. Thanks Dad.

8. Radio - Since i had my ipod nicked i considered buying one. A wind-up one would be wicked though.

9. Musical instrument - If you play one, bring it. My guitar has been a life saver to me at points, the wee dudes love it too.

10. Raincoat - the words 'when it rains it pours' have never rung truer for me

No comments: