Saturday 23 February 2008

Yesterday

Yesterday was a strange day, I woke up feeling rather turdy, mentally and physically. On a walk to the buitingi school I found myself thinking about loads of stuff I missed, like driving and food and T.V (well I don’t miss T.V that much) and music and oh yes, my family and friends, naturally.

My word how I miss music though, I miss it with all my heart. Whilst sitting in Abijan (my local) this corny music started pumping out the speakers. Now all everybody listens to here is traditional Makossa music, R&B hits from 2001, and hip-hop (mainly 5o cent), but the drivel I was listening to was Bryan Adams ‘everything I do I do it for you’.A real stinker of a tune which stayed at #1 in the U.K for three centuries or something. Yet I found myself really listening to it, feeling the chord changes and the emotion in the voice of the pizza-faced Canadian warbler. It was damn embarrassing. Without a clue of what had just transpired I had another sip of beer and then ‘we are the world’ came on and the bit with Stevie Wonder singing almost made me cry!!, cry tears!!.

As I say, a strange day.

Luckily I have plenty to keep me occupied at the moment. I’m currently collating a fundraising proposal with Mr Orock, which has involved me interviewing all the staff and volunteers of UAC (there are 38 payed staff, 4 cameroonian volunteers and 6 foreign volunteers) so it has been no light task but I finally finished it last night and hopefully we can send it as soon as Mr Orock returns from Mamfe, where he is attending a funeral.All the information I collected can also be used to update the website as well, which is in dire need of up-dating.

Also I’m very busy with school on wheels and remedial reading, which are getting better and more rewarding every day.

Reading is still getting me through as well, i'm currentley re-reading 'A catcher in the rye' by J.D Sallinger, I love Holden Caulfield, I respect his ability to perceive phonies in this world.

It’s weird though whenever I feel slightly lonesome or down my friends always phone me and cheer me up, a coincidence I’m prepared to accept whole-heartedly.
Cunny, Phil, Moff and Kirsty gave me a wee drunken phone call last night. I was all tucked up sleeping under my mosquito/cockroach net when they called. I wasn’t surprised to learn that Cunny had had another ‘cunny tumble’, Moff had started propositioning young men in bars (I don’t know how kirsty feels about that), Phil had just played another gig (probably jazz or something, if I had to guess) and kirsty was now working with a princess in Ryans’ Bar. It was one the funniest phone conversations I have ever had, so thankyou.

I got back to sleep happy and the noise of the dogs howling at the moon didn’t even interrupt me.

1 comment:

mr.moff said...

Glad to be of service matey. Not been on line for a while so excuse the tardy comment.

We are having another house party tomorrow. In the theme of 'frat'. Starting after Scotland most probably get humped by the Auld Enemy at Rugby (I feel a wooden spoon coming on) The first game to be played is Edward Forty Hands. It involves having a forty ounce bottle of beer (San Miguel Litre in our case) gaffa taped to each hand. No removing of bottles or pissing until the bottles are empty...

I predict carnage, obviously I will have passed out by then but I'm sure I'll see the photos on Facebook!

You may expect another boozed up call at some point during the precedings.

Anyway, back to yer blog. I stopped reading to write this and think I caught a glimpse of the word RIOT further up.

Look after yourself big man.

Peas.