Friday 29 February 2008

Peace?

For a few days the strike has been quite violent. They made a roadblock up from my house and the police dispersed the crowd with tear gas and gunshots. It was the first time I had ever heard a gunshot in my life. It sent a shiver down my spine. The pop of tear gas canisters going of terrified me too, much to amusement of Bonnie, my first reaction was for my own safety so we all ran in the house, but then my next feeling was to get my washing in!!! I don’t know why but I just didn’t want anybody stealing my pants.

We stayed bunkered up with books and beer to the sound of a full scale riot going on. The news of accounts in Douala and elswhere were varied and it was hard to get the truth. It’s clear that people have died in many areas of the country, not just in Douala like the T.V news would have us believe.

Paul Biya, the leader of the Cameroonian peoples democracy party, addressed the nation on Wednesday. In his gravelly french voice he blamed the opposition for the violence and that they were trying to get him out of power through anarchy rather than the ballot box. It was clear that this kind of attitude was not what the mobs wanted to hear for appeasment and the violence did not subside the next day.

Things are beginning to return to normal in Buea on Friday the 29th of February, the people need to work and bills require payment. The stocks of supplies will take a bit longer to replenish however as everything is dependant on Douala and its ports. As is other big land locked countries like Chad and the Central African Republic.

It’s clear that this has been about more than the rising cost of fuel. Unemployment and corruption in a land of cash crops and oil have come to the boil too. People just want their voices to be heard, and I think they have.

I just wish they could have done it peacefully.

No comments: