Wednesday 20 February 2008

Limbe Zoo

Well i have finally seen a monkey in Africa, Gibbons, mandrills, colibus and chimpanzees to be exact. I went to Limbe zoo the other day for a wee excursion. They also had a massive crocodile, a python and some parrots too.

Personally i find animal prisons a little bit depressing but this place had one saving grace in that it is a sanctuary for the poor creatures that have been victim to mindless human acts like deforestation, the illegal exotic animal trade and people hunting them for bushmeat.

I gave a donation as well as the measely entry fee as i thought it was a very worthwhile inithiative and it did its best to educate kids and adults alike about the dangers these beautiful animals face.

Afterwards i walked to the beach and had a beer on Limbe beach and this girl chatted me up and wanted me to buy her a fish. She was very forward, or maybe she was just hungry.

There were many traders selling stuff on the beach and were more than happy to see me, i bought a necklace in the shape of Africa made from a coconut shell and a map of Cameroon, i love to barter so much.

I had a nice, relaxing day and i sat and watched the sun set over the Atlantic ocean with the mosquitos treating me like i was a delicious delicacy.

www.limbewildlife.org

No comments: