Tuesday 22 January 2008

My Cameroonian diet

Volunteers with UAC get three square meals a day at the Orock house - Breakfast at 7.30A.M,
lunch (which is the main meal of the day) at 2.30P.M and dinner at 7.30P.M. This all runs on Africa time you understand so they are usually 15 to 20 minutes late. This means however we get a chance to watch a snowy t.v with BBC world on or the Cameroon v Egypt match last night(Cameroon got pumped 4-2, i think Scotland would give them a good game) or we may be subjected to that damn Alicia keys song "don't walk". Very big hit here, much to my ears annoyance.

Anyway this is what i've been eating as well as a few wee cheeky things from the bakery when peckish.

  • Plantanes - I think they are a distant cousin of the banana, i really don't like them even when fried.
  • Bananas - They're so sweet here cause they pick them when they're green. Really nice.
  • Pineapple - You can by a giant one for 500F which is basically 5p to you and me. Juicy and delicious.
  • Apples - very sweet and good. Can't find green ones though.
  • Grapefruit - A bit to bitter for me. But they are cheap and plentiful.
  • Rice - Boiled of fried, very tasty and very filling.
  • Spaghetti - They cook it weird here, not like back home, i still stick it in my face though!.
  • Omlettes - Quite nice when they put tomatoes in them.
  • Tomatoes - They are tiny but super tasty.
  • Bread - It's wonderful here, so fresh and excellant with a bit of dairylea from the bakery.
  • Pancakes - Well good.
  • Yams - Uugh horrible, disgusting bland old yams. Not for me, It's like chewing on hardened wallpaper paste.
  • Chicken - Nice enough but i'm always weary about eating it cause the chickens roam free here and peck about and everybody (well i say everybody, i mean men!!) 'make water' wherever they please. It's a bit of a potential health disaster.
  • Fish - Is soooo good here, I had some right on Limbe beach with the hottest sauce. Brilliant. I've tried carp and barracuda. Delicious.
  • Cookies - Every now and then from the bakery.
  • Nuts - Every variety you could imagine. These wee kids sell them on the street for 1000f. They're really good. And they come in old Grants whisky bottles which is quite funny.
  • Sugarballs - From the bakery for much cheapness, highly addictive and great. Basically what we'd call a jam donut without the jam.
  • Water - Sooo much water. It costs about 2 pound for 6 1.5l bottles.
  • D'jino - A mixed fruit drink made right here in Cameroon. Very refreshing and it rivals bru in its healing capabilities.
  • Mutzig - My beer of choice, big giant bottles of the stuff for 50p. Wonderfull

So that's what i've been putting in my face. I hope that wasn't to boring but it was mainly for my mums benefit who has probably convinced herself that i've been rationing two bananas a week.

You see mother, I have been eating.

Bye. x

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Hey blog buddy! I am enjoying going back and reading all of your posts. This one made me laugh. Thank goodness for pineapple and Mutzig!

Meredith :o)