Thursday 24 April 2008

Newsletter blues

So i'm feeling a lot better. The malaria and typhoid have vacated my system like a couple of unwelcome gate-crashers. I'm sorry if my descriptions of the nasty wee diseases were quite vivid and graphic, but i'm telling the exact truth in this blog, i'm not a fan of censorship in life, so i'm certainly not going to pull any punches here. I do have to censor my expletives though as my granny and grandad are reading this, hypocrite. I am sorry if you're condsidering coming here and it has scared you though, but there are precautions you can take,and not everyone is unlucky enough to contract these illnesses.

I'm back at school and i've been busy drawing up worksheets and tests for the vocational department, and i've started drawing up their final english and maths exams that i will hold at the end of May.

Remedial reading has been a bit of a false start as its been off for holidays then i got sick, so three weeks have elapsed and that's enough time to make the wee dudes think that classes have finished. So on monday past one kid showed up (well he was playing in the school yard and i nabbed him) i said the classes were still on and if he spreads the word and gets a minimum of 10 kids here on wednesday, i will buy him an ice-cream, essentially bribery i'll admit, but yesterday sofie,berit and i turned up and there were 10 children waiting. The wee dude got his ice-cream.

Music class has been going well and with the help of Steven we're going to put on a performence on music day at the end of term. I've written my first childrens song, which is called 'Cameroon sun' and the children love to sing it. They've got incredible rhythm too, so hopefully the performence will be a success.

I've also been busy typing up a UAC newsletter at the request of David at Africa Trust. I did it by interviewing Mr Orock then i padded it out in my best english. It's been an absolute nightmare typing it up though, i was typing as fast as i could on Dan's computer at the Orock house, i'm not the slowest typer in the world but i'm not the fastest either. After two hours i was almost finished when the power cut off, my brain nearly exploded with fury!!. Luckily microsoft word retrieves documents and this was the case, unfortuneately it only saved half of it, so i began re-typing.I finished it when the power cut off again!! I actually started inventing new expletives, i was raging. When the power came back on it again only save half of it. I gave up and stuck in my USB stick to save what i had, but dan's computer would not recognise it. If i had had a gun i don't know what i would have done to that computer, i hated its digital guts!!. Anyway after turning it off and on again 300 times and doing the classic of blowing into the USB port, it finally saved it and i typed the rest of it at the UAC computer room. Meredith has a cool programme and all my photos on her laptop, so she has helped me draw it up. The only problem now will be sending it...

Went out for some delicious fish with Ines, Meredith, Sofie and Berit the other night, i had my first beer in 17 days!!!!!!!!!!!! I must be on the road to recovery.

No comments: