Friday 25 January 2008

All these things that I have done

During my two week induction programme i've managed to pack in quite a lot of stuff.

I've seen the whole of Buea and met countless friendly faces and subsequently forgotten all their names (although they usually remember mine, pronounced - Jameson.) Been to bright, colurful and chaotic markets where anything and everything can be bartered for. I've seen the subsistence farmers on the mountain growing maize and bananas.
Wherever i've went to in Buea i've been welcomed with a curious smile and many, many questions.

I've been for a tour of the two schools and met all the teachers and some of the cheeky wee kids to unified chorus' of 'hello, hello'.
I've sat in on the class 5's and met Paul, who i will be assisting during my stay here.

Henry Sako has been teaching me Pidgin (a bastardized version of english mixed with french and german, which is what everyone speaks here) It's a very strange language but it sounds lovely.

I've been speaking as much french as my limited vocabulary will allow me with Henry Enoabane and my friend Ines at the internet place (everyone here is essentially tri-lingual, they speak english fluently, as they do french and pidgin, Henry can also speak his own dialect too which is native to his village, it's really pretty immpressive)

I've been to Douala to get my bags in the very definition of a crazy taxi (the record i've had is 8 people in an old rover estate, madness!)

I've been working out too, i actually do have muscles under my winter coat!!.

I've been to Limbe twice and dined under the shadow of a volcano.

I've also cleaned the house from top to bottom cause it was filthy like you wouldn't believe. It gets so dusty here, so it was probably a futile exercise, made me feel better though.

Not stopped smoking yet though!!! (the 50p price tag doesn't make it any easier either)

Other than that night times are spent reading copious amounts to keep away from 'the couple'. I've been reading like johnny 5 in short circuit!!
Already i've finished,
  • Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris
  • A spot of bother by Mark Haddon
  • The life and times of the thunderbolt kid by Bill Bryson
  • The red pony by John Steinbeck

All i would recommend whole heartedly.

So that's more or less what i've been up to, next week will be a whole lot busier as i start teaching five days a week and i'm going to start organizing my music class, Mr Orock says the kids and I should put on a concert at the end of the school term, which would be fun.

Byes x

No comments: